Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Misty and brain slugs

Something that I don’t often do is “literally” travel down memory lane. By this I mean to actually go to a certain location where a memory was formed and stay there and reminisce. I did this on Tuesday. I borrowed Marie's Honda Hover Car and set off to Vacaville. I was in search of a lucid memory of Misty’s house. Misty was an ex-girlfriend who actually asked me to marry her back in the late 1990s, I think I denied her back then because I didn’t think that she was serious. So there I was on Misty’s old street, in front of her old house, collecting memories. The house didn’t look too completely different; same fence, same driveway, same mailbox. Same Misty? I couldn’t believe my eyes but there she was, a much older version of the Misty I once knew and loved. She was in her front yard doing yard work. Slowly I got out of the hover car and almost fell on my face because I keep forgetting that the car is hovering one foot in the air. She heard me almost fall and turned around because she was facing the other way. It took her a while for it to register that it was me half-falling in her drive way. Then she stammered out my name, “D-D-Daniel?”  We talked much like an old person drives, slowly and deliberately. She tells me about her daughter’s daughter April and how she’s hooked on brain slugs. I’m not surprised to hear that Misty actually sells brain slugs and harvests them in her backyard. She used to sell weed back in the old days to help with the income. That’s awful about April, I tell her. I also tell her that I’ve never tried brain slugs and she offers me a sample. I ask her is it safe. She tells me that obviously by the example of her granddaughter  it is addicting but that she does them herself sometimes to escape her sometimes dull reality. I agreed to try some on the condition that she did it with me. So I found myself in the same old living room that I used to know before, and Misty was attaching a brain slug to each of our brain stems. At first the sensation was tingling. Then it got intense, an almost cold/burning sensation at the back of my head. Then I felt as though I was floating outside of my body. I floated up and looked down at my body sitting next to Misty’s. I couldn’t remember ever feeling this good before.

No comments:

Post a Comment